Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - Mini Movie Review

Okay here it is...first real post. I bet you all thought is was going to be about a comic book, but I went and saw Shang-Chi Tuesday night. So I have to type up this review in a timely manner.

First off, two things you should know about me. I will give any movie a chance. Some have questioned my ability to give a critical review because for the most part I can find something to like about any movie. Entertainment value means a lot to me. If I am entertained, I will likely give the movie at least an 8 on IMBD. The second thing that is helpful to know for this and future movie/tv show reviews is that I am at heart, a DC fan, but the MCU is an amazing and impressive beast that I have come to love.


On to the review. I loved the look and feel of this movie. Every move was mapped out beautifully. The moment the parents first met and had their fight/dance, I knew I was going to see a lot of pretty fight scenes. While that first one was the best, the rest did not disappoint. I also enjoyed all the characters in this film. Shang-Chi (Simu Liu) and his BFF Katy (Awkwafina) were a great dynamic. I am in favor of more platonic friendships on screen. Xialing (Meng'er Zhang) as the bad ass sister was awesome and I really hope we see more of whatever she gets up to. If I am honest I for sure have a lady crush on Awkwafina. Speaking of lady crushes Michelle Yeoh is a legend and I hope we see her in future Marvel movies. Plus Wong! Did I mention that this was a great cast?  

I am kind of a nerd when it comes to mythological creatures. So I loved seeing classic Eastern creatures portrayed on screen. The dragons, the guard lions and of course the huli jing, or nine-tailed fox. I did have to look up this little guy though. 

He is called a Hundun and he represents "primordial chaos; or the nebulous state of the universe before heaven and earth separated." Not sure how to interpret that, honestly I think Disney was just looking for some cute merch.

The story felt okay. Not as tired as some other hero origin stories, but far from original. (Note: I have not read any comics that have Shang-Chi, nor any where he even appears briefly) If I am honest this movie does not make me want to go out and read it either. To be fair there are only two Marvel movies that inspired me to go read some Marvel Comics. (A post for another day) I just felt more excited by the end credit scenes than I was by any other part of the movie. I will give the MCU credit, I am always super excited for the next movie. (Looking at you Eternals!)

 A couple of other notes. I am super glad this movie was made. I loved that the cast was almost completely Asian. I appreciated that a fair amount of the dialog was in Chinese. I liked seeing badass women fighting. It is very likely I will go see this movie in theater again, because I love seeing movies in theater and I think my mom will like this one too (Mostly because you don't need to have seen all 25 of the previous movies to understand what is happening) Note: Always take your mom (or other loved one) to movies if you can. It is a nice thing to do.

I'll end with my favorite line from the movie, which I take to mean, one should try not to live life aimlessly. 

"If you aim at nothing, you hit nothing." 

Next week: Superman: The Final Days of Superman!





Comments

  1. Heck yes to women who know how to fight and do it so beautifully to boot. Awkwafina is awesome and this movie solidified me becoming part of her fan base. I think she did a great job of representing a lot of Millennials too and our struggle to find our place in the working world and the world in general! Really amazing fight sequences in this movie.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment