Comic Book Club Special (Thirsty Mermaids and Snapdragon)

This post is going to be a little different from most of my other posts! I am pretty sure I have mentioned my comic book club before but I'll give a quick refresher for anyone new here. I have been in a women's comic book club since 2016. Thanks to this club I have made many great friends and even met my partner! As most of you know, I am a pretty hard core DC fan, but this club has really opened my mind and heart to all kinds of different comics and graphic novels. In honor of that I have decided to write a quick little post so I can share what we are reading.


For the month of January we read two graphic novels, both by Kat Leyh. The first was Snapdragon published February 4, 2020.



This comic is a really fun romp about a young girl named Snapdragon, who befriends an old lady who lives in the woods. I do not intend to recap or spoil this comic because it is still fairly new and I think more people need to read it. I would totally encourage anyone who is into cute stories of personal growth and a fan of an LGBT friendly stories to read this comic. I will say that I think this is geared for younger audiences, maybe late elementary to middle-school, but you shouldn’t let that stop you from reading it. For me this comic felt unfinished and I would 100% read a second volume if it came out.


I do still want to share my favorite (non-spoiler) line from this book and for you all to see how cute this art is. This isn't so much a line but I feel like this girl's face says everything you need to know.



The second book we read was Thirsty Mermaids published February 9, 2021. 



This comic follows three outcast mermaids who find themselves trapped as humans. I was a little iffy about this one at first but I ended up liking it even more than Snapdragon. I think this is in part because it was clearly meant for an older audience and has much more humor while also tackling some heavy topics. Again it is very LGBT friendly and discusses body dysmorphia in one of the clearest ways I have seen. While this story was very self-contained, I still found myself wanting more. I guess I just like a good series.


It was a little harder to pick a favorite line for this comic, so in the end I decided that an entire page would have to do. I have never related more to a comic than how these ladies feel waking up after a night of too much fun. 


Now, a little bit more about Kat Leyh. I first came across her work while reading Lumberjanes (another comic that everyone should read)! I was even lucky enough to meet her once at a Comic Con. She is a Chicago based writer and artist. If you want to keep up with her projects or check out her ongoing web-comic (Supercake), go ahead and click on the links I have provided. 


Going to wrap this post up by saying that sometimes stepping outside of your comfort zone, whether that is by befriending someone new, casting a spell to become human, or reading a comic that is outside of your norm, you can't really go wrong because you are sure to learn something new! Thanks for reading and see you all next week when I hop back in my ongoing and never ending coverage of DC comics!


Previous Posts: All-Star Batman Vol. 1: My Own Worst Enemy


Next Post: Detective Comics Vol. 2: The Victim Syndicate, Part 1 


Note: All images belong to the artist Kat Leyh













    


Comments

  1. Agreed, both comics are worth a read. The facial expressions in Thirsty Mermaid are so on point and also hilarious, I loved it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment